27 by 27. Walking a half marathon. The Tech Iron Man Triathlon. Trying to Learn Russian.
What do all of these things in common? Katie's random goals to motivate her to do things. The past two years have been pretty successful in the goal accomplishing area. So what's the new one...drum roll please...
Learning how to cook things I love by myself. Yeah, I need a catchier name. And at the moment there really isn't a goal. Maybe you can help me work on that.
But here is what I was thinking. This semester is dedicated to learning to cook more. I'm 27 years old. I can cook and do cook, but not in the super homemade way. Meaning frozen stuff is usually my friend. But I love recipes. They are lists and organized and then you get to check something off after you make it and there are immediate results. All GREAT for my personality. Also, I love such a variety of food, that I think "why shouldn't I just learn to make it myself?" I come from a family of great cooks, so why not join in the fun with them instead of just being the mooch eating the yumminess. So this semester is the semester of experimentation with trying to actually make new things. I have the kitchen appliances to do it, so why not bust out that food processor more often.
I'll let you know how things go. I can't promise lots of new recipes all the time, but I want this semester to be a conscious effort of maybe once a week trying some new recipe. Maybe the next post will include a more clear cut goal for this with an inspiring name. Until then, I'll share some stuff am excited I've made in the past couple of days that have been delicious!!!
Candied Walnuts - My new favorite snack!
I'm pretty sure my grandmother ate all of these when I made them at our family reunion.
Put same parts walnuts and sugar on a nonstick pan on high. Stir them until the sugar melts and covers the walnuts. Remove from heat and put on wax paper. Let cool. ENJOY!
Orange Juice Popsicle - These are hard. Get ready for it...
GREAT for this hot summer weather.
Pour Orange Juice into Popsicle molds. Let freeze. Enjoy. I told you hard.
Creamy Garlic and Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus
courtesy of Beth Carroll
I LOVE Hummus and never knew how easy it is! This recipe is delicious and makes so much! Perfect to bring to a summer party. (HA! Do you like my little commentary? Just call me Rachel Ray!)
Ingredients
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup tahini (sesame-seed paste)
3 garlic cloves, peeled (or more if you’d like)
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
4 oz sun dried tomatoes in olive oil
Put all ingredients in the food processor and blend until creamy consistency is achieved. Add more olive oil or water as needed to achieve the desired consistency. Top with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of cumin.

3 comments:
I'm making hummus today! :) Glad you liked the recipe and I'm extra glad your venturing out of your comfort zone in cooking! Can't wait to read more about it.
that's a fun challenge! maybe you should try to cook through Julia Child's cookbook like Julie did?? :) have fun cooking!
Lots of great recipes for you to try on our cooking blog! Have fun cooking!
;p Kim
cookingdevushki.wordpress.com
Post a Comment