So every Tuesday I meet with a fun group of Tech students to plan our big weekly meetings. There is laughter. There is creativity. There is figuring out the main funny story the emcee is going to tell at the beginning of the meetings. Well, this week I ask the normal question, "So what story are you going to use?" Jessica, one of the students, laughs to herself, mumbles "we could get in trouble for this one" and then goes silent. There are only 6 of us, so we all hear her, and I begin to inquire as to what the story is. She hesitates for a little bit, and then shares with the table.
She begins her story by reminding us all of the TechCru T-shirts. Awww, the TechCru shirts. They are wonderful, beautiful shirts, but unfortunately we ordered WAY too many, so someone always has the job of hauling the massive box back and forth from their home, to their car, to the weekly meeting, so that very few people will buy them, then back to their car and back into their home to sit and wait a week before it all begins again. Well, somehow her and one of the other students, Spencer, got put in charge of these T-shirts. None of us really know how it happened, but each week, these two loyal sophomores would be the ones responsible for working out their muscles in bringing the shirts back and forth.
After a couple of weeks, though, they said enough is enough. It turns out myself or another staff person would always come find them to remind them to get the shirts. I remember doing that, but I still don't know why I thought they were in charge. Well one day, they came with a plan. They brought the shirts, sat them down on a row in the back, then sat as far away as possible. Then the idea was to run out of the meeting as fast as possible, leaving the shirts behind. The meeting goes it's normal self. There is worship. There is a talk. There is meet n greet. Then there are Spencer and Jessica bolting out of the meeting.
They grab their things and run. They don't stay for chit chat. They don't stay to figure out what people are doing after. They stick to their goal and escape. They've made it to their car where Jessica can't get her seat belt on. It is jammed and that is when they see me. Out I come with the huge box of t-shirts and in their minds I'm walking straight for them. Jessica yells, "Go, go! The seat belt isn't worth it. She's coming to give them to us. Go!" So they peel out of the parking lot away from the lady with the t-shirts.
Now when I heard the story, I thought it was the funniest thing ever. I never knew that me with a box of t-shirts could be such an emotional thing. I kind of remember that night only because it was the night that the t-shirts got handed over to me. Now I am the one that stores them in my garage and brings them back and forth. I don't remember Jessica and Spencer at all. I'm sure their car was just parked near mine, and I was just going for my own car. What I love though is how scarred they were. Who knew I could create such fear into the lives of college students, and that it wouldn't come out until 4 months later.
3 comments:
HALARIOUS story!!! You are cracking me up! You're such a good writer!!! :) (I felt like I was "there"!)
that's hilarious katie!! haha. you ARE one scary lady. try not to scare any more poor college students ;)
HAHA that's great :)
Post a Comment