Pages

Friday, February 20, 2009

I'm hungry Momma, I'm hungry!

If you have ever seen the movie 101 Dalmatians, you would recognize that quote. It is the adorable, yet plump little puppy Rolly. He can't ever seem to get full. Lately, I'm wondering if my adorable, yet slightly plump "puppy" should get that nickname.

Scenario One - Valentine's Day
It's been an interesting day as most of my friends in Lubbock are married or seriously dating people. On normal days, this is not that big of a problem. On the Day O Love, in my mind they are all spending time with their significant others and therefore unavailable for me to hang out with leaving me alone. That word "alone" might be translated "lonely" for how I was feeling. Well even though I was alone, I still needed to eat lunch, so I preceded to make a delicious looking chicken salad sandwich on a sesame baguette. As I'm on the phone with a friend being probably dramatic in my thoughts on the day, I set my sandwich on my coffee table and walk out of the room for less than a minute. When I reenter, what do I see, but my beautiful sandwich in the mouth of my, oh yes, my adorable, yet slightly plump "puppy." Before I know it, I'm in a tug of war fight as she fervently holds on to what she has decided is rightfully hers. Needless to say, I chunked the sandwich, while laughing in disbelief that from my knowledge of Sugar's 13 years of life, this is the first time she has stolen food.

Scenario 2 - This morning 7am
My adorable, yet plump "puppy" has this psuedo annoying habit of wanting to go outside around 4am and 7am every morning, and I have this psuedo annoying habit of being a super light sleeper as just hearing her breath next to my bed makes me give in to her wishes and lets her go outside. Well due to a long story I won't go into here, we have a lock on our back gate that you have to use a key to get in and out of. Our alley garbage can is on the outside of that gate, so needless to say, garbage bags tend to pile up about 1-2 deep before we take the time to get the key, unlock the gate, walk to the big dumpster and take it all out. That might change after this morning.

It's around 6:30/7 this morning and Sugar is outside as normal. When I get tired of waiting on her, as I want to jump back into bed for my last hour of sleep, I finally open the door and what do I see, but Sugar in the trash. She immediately runs inside with a giant end of stale garlic bread. Again the tug of war begins, but this food is bigger and harder, so she wins round one and still keeps a big chunk of it in her mouth. I throw away my portion in disgust of the old buttery garlic now on my fingers and go for round two. Thankfully, this time I win and grab the rest away from her, toss it in the trash, wash my greasy fingers and vow to throw the trash away first thing when I'm actually fully awake.

So all of these stories to say, although she has a full bowl of dog food always at her disposal, I think Sugar is telling me "I'm hungry momma. I'm hungry!"

No comments: