Despite being stressed out for most of it (which is something I really wish I could grow in - the not getting stressed out thing), I did have a lot of fun moments, so in outline form, here we go...
1. Dallas White Rock Half Marathon
13.1 miles, 3 hr 48 minutes, one of my favorite accomplishementsOn Sunday December 14th at 8:00 am 17000 people lined up to complete the Dallas White Rock Full, Half and Relay Marathon. My friend Kelly, her sweet mom and I were 3 in that crowd. Many of you know, that I'd trained for this, was nervous about it, and was hesitant about it. After it was said and done, though, I LOVED it! I would walk a half again in a heart beat. So thanks for the prayers and encouragement, and if you ever want to walk a half, I'd love to join you!
2. Time at Home
Hanging with the Fam - Chinese Food

My sweet family was so gracious with me as you will see in the next section that my time at home was a feeble attempt of trying to spend time with my family while trying to finish up stuff for work before a conference in which I was the childcare coordinator.
The thing I appreciated the most about my time at home was despite my pseudo failing job of really being all there for my family this time, they were all there and super thoughtful for me. Chinese food is a small example of that. I love Chinese food. In Lubbock, though, I rarely am able to eat it. I don't think my friends like it, and I don't think there is a decent place to get it even if they did. Therefore, I am only able to quench that love when I go home. In the 2 weeks I was home, my family had decided we were going to get it twice at this really good place near their house mostly because they knew I wanted it. It was wonderful! We always get the same booth. We eat yummy food. We laugh at the ridiculous fortune cookie messages at the end. Sweet times.
Childcare Prep
I mentioned this above, but this was a big part of my mind over
Christmas. Campus Crusade has a conference for students every year where the staff are assigned jobs. As between all of the staff members there are over 70 children, someone gets to be in charge of figuring out what to do with all of them during the meetings so their parents can go to the meetings. That job was mine this year. I had only helped with one session of childcare at a past meeting, so I was very naive to what I might or might not be missing when planning for all of it. I had awesome partners and directors and material but not knowing what to expect created a quite full brain going to Kinkos and running other errands trying to make sure I didn't forget anything.Break In
A couple of days after Christmas I got a call from my roommate in Lubbock relaying that our house had been broken into. Well that's not fun, but randomly and thankfully this person decided they didn't want anything. Besides a broken door everything seems to be here. The only off thing we saw was that my bed was moved a little in my room. My mind of course went straight to maybe the person slept in my bed. WEIRD AND CREEPY. So step one when I got home was to clean my sheets. Even if no one did at all, it's always good to start a semester off with clean sheets.
3. Fort Worth Winter Conference
- December 31, 2008 to January 5, 2009Live Oak Level - aka Childcare World
So you have my emotions of the prepping for childcare, and here are the ones while it was actually happening. I actually really liked it. I had an awesome partner and director. I had awesome workers and volunteers. We had awesome kiddos. Everything seemed to run smoothly and the kids had fun. Every now and then I actually got to hang out with some of the different age groups, and I'd always leave with a smile.
I actually got to sit in on three of the main meetings the college students were in, which was refreshing to my soul. Not only that, I was able to reconnect with staff and students from different areas of my life. From my teammates in Italy to students and staff from my Branson Summer Project and the one that came to Florence the year before. It was SO fun seeing people who I had a history with and that knew me.
Whew! So that's a brief update. I definitely missed lots of things, but I figured this was already so long I'd just hit the things that overtook my mind the last month. Now due to just getting in town and not wanting to go to the grocery since I'm just leaving again in a couple of days, I'm contently enjoying what I could find in my pantry for lunch - Wheat Thins and Easy Cheese and a delicious La Madeline Linzer Cookie.
Coming up soon in the life of Katie- back to Houston for a wedding shower and then off to Daytona Beach for a leader's traing. Oh yeah and my birthday fits somewhere in there.
3 comments:
Wow! What a break you had. I'm sorry you had a break-in, but I'm so glad no one took anything. I wonder if they could see that you were Christians when the took a look around your place and felt convicted, so they took off. That would be awesome.
Regardless, I'm so glad nothing was taken.
Congrats on running a half marathon, and also on a job well done at the winter conference!
Wow! You had the honor of being a part of what I affectionately call "Wild Care". Ah, so many fond memories of that part of my childhood. I always looked forward to it when I was younger. I am glad you enjoyed it, and that nothing got stolen from your place. I know a lot people who had their places broken into over the holidays in Lubbock. You are blessed everything is as it was, but I am sure you already know this. Good to hear how you are.
great recap...it's like we don't even have to talk to each other!! but yet I still miss talking! I know you're busy in DB, but I do need to plan to stalk you sometime in the future.....
hope you have a great b-day if I don't get you on the phone!
Post a Comment