
Easter of 2007, my parents surprised me with this beautiful ring. It is memorable because it combines two very important worlds in my life. That of my family and of my life in Italy. My mom was so excited to give it to me. She was like a little kid who picked out a very special gift for their parent who waited in anticipation with huge, eager eyes as the gift was opened. I felt so loved as her apparent care and thought went into the ring. Also, I vividly remember where I was when I opened this velvety red box. I was sitting in the IKEA clad kitchen of our Spring Break apartment in Milan, Italy. Giant red light balls hung from the ceiling as crying Italian children and murmurs of Italian phrases were heard in the courtyard behind the kitchen doors. I've never really cried after opening a gift, but I definitely remember my breath being taken away and a couple of tears emerging to the front of my eyeballs after realizing that this gift was one for me to keep.
No comments:
Post a Comment