We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
Romans 6:4
After being a Christian for almost 6 years, I finally decided to be baptized this past Sunday. I have to be honest, I was nervous. It took me this long because I let my fear of what others would think took over. Six years ago I was already a leader within my college ministry. When I became a Christian it took many by surprise since I was already dedicated to the ministry. Like so many here in the Bible Belt of the south, though, I knew the Sunday School answers and how to look like a Christian, but didn't have a personal relationship with Christ. My identity was found in my own performance, in seeking other's approval, and in the relationships I had. My sophomore year of college, though, the Lord opened my eyes to His love, approval and never ending relationship regardless of what I do. Through believing in Him, I got to have new life with Him!
The opportunity was basically laid in my lap not too long ago to be able to be baptized at my church here in Lubbock. I had begun to think about why I had waited so long last semester, met with my pastor to talk about it at the beginning of May and with 6 other people this past week, was baptized in front of the congregation.
My church doesn't have a permanent building yet, so we were literally dunked in a kiddie pool. After the service, one of my sweet friends came up to me so excited to have witnessed the baptism and said, "Isn't it cool that you got baptized in a kiddie pool? There has to be some extra symbolism there, right?" I immediately thought, "Maybe faith like a child?" I was laughing about it at the time, but it has stuck with me. How often do I try and over intellectualize my faith? How often do I get stuck on super complicated theology rather than just having the simple faith of a child? How often do I feel like I'm "too mature in my faith" to struggle with certain things over and over again?
As I was trying to stand up in the kiddie pool on my own it reminded me of how even with Christ, we often try and go back and do things our way. Had I just taken the hand offered to get me back up, it would have been a lot easier. Yet, I struggled (unfortunately in front of 100s of people) to get out of the water.
So I'm thankful for the kiddie pool. I want faith like a child that completely relies on the Lord for every detail of my life. I want to stop trying to do things my way and truly trust in the Lord's way. I'm grateful for how the Lord could use a plastic summer toy meant for a child's enjoyment, to remind me of His amazing truths all the while most importantly reminding me of the new life I truly have with Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment