Living an adventurous life for the Lord through growing faith, integrity, humility and service. -Aist Family Motto
Friday, February 22, 2008
Feeling like a Freshman
Friends and family, welcome to my life as a freshman! Who knew it would be possible to become one again at the age of 25, starting in the random month of February. So, yes, I'm not technically a freshman in the sense that we usually associate the word. I do, however, hangout on a college campus all day long, talk to college students, and every now and then wear a backpack, so for this blog's sake, I'm a freshman. Frosh. Newbie.
I remember my first week of school as a real freshman at Texas A&M. It rained. And rained. And rained some more. My mom came up my first week to take me to lunch. I cried in my stress of being in college. I got new tennis shoes.
I also went to Campus Crusade for the first time. I watched students do this weird skit swallowing Alka-Skeltzer. I met some of my best friends.
I think about those memories, and am excited to think when I look back next year, what will stand out about my first weeks as "Freshman" staff with Campus Crusade at Texas Tech?
Here is a preliminary list:
1. It was cold. Then it was warm. Then it was cold again. Then it was warm again.
2. I got to share my faith, pseudo-disciple some students and talk about sending them into the world when they graduate in my first week.
3. My dog Sugar was saved from death when she got out of the yard.
4. I found a church, that thus far, I really like.
5. I chopped my hair off. Everyone should start a new phase of life with a new do!
6. I started missing Italia. I got to see some staff from Italia. I ate at a hole in the wall Greek restaurant that reminded me of Italia.
7. I had such fun conversations with staff and students and was blown away by the openness everyone has.
8. Jane Austen - Emma, Pride and Prejudice - I mean, such amazing ways to bond with the gals!
9. As a real freshman, I didn't really try anything crazy just because no one knew me, but this time around, I decided to bring back some of my Italy wardrobe and run with it. (If you knew how really uncrazy that wardrobe is, you might be chuckling right now. Tights. Crazy layering. I know, so crazy! But hey, it's branching out for me.)
So in a year, I'll let you know what memories actually stuck. For now, that is just a snid-bit of my life the past two weeks.
Despite going in between the feelings of being super excited in the newness or super intimidated in the unknowness (I'm not sure that is a real word), I'm pretty pumped about my first two weeks on campus. I have many "What in the heck am I doing?" moments, but usually the "Woohoo! This is what I do!" moments supersede them.
So, embarrassing freshman moments, awkward times of not knowing whats happening and humbling times of shedding the freshman "I'm Miss Cool. I know what going on." times, here we come!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
sounds funnnn :)
Post a Comment