Pages

Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Prayers by 29

So every year around September/October, I become aware that my birthday in January is on it's way.  Especially as of 2 years ago, that means I usually come up with a list of goals and dreams for what to accomplish prior to the impending date.  27 was "27 by 27" - lose 27 pounds by my 27th birthday.  Leading up to my 28th birthday was time of praying through this new role and move, so that's about all I could focus on then.  Transition has now heavily influenced "Prayers by 29." 

So this was a list I made a couple of months ago. 
-Finish my Bible in a Year Chronologically by April (technically a couple of months after my birthday)
-Have 4 close friends outside of Cru
-Find a church and community group
-Only eat out 2X a week
-Workout 3X a week
-Lose 10 pounds (since over 2 years I gained back 10 - not bad for 2 years, but I need to switch back to that healthier lifestyle.) 

I love how this year it's called "Prayers by 29."  Not a catchy phrase, but more rooted in how all are only through Christ to begin with.  It's amazing too how the Lord is already beginning to answer these prayers!  Especially the first 3.  I love the church I've been going to here, Fellowship.  Through that, I'm really enjoying the Community Group I'm in where I've already met amazing friends. 

The last 3 all go hand in hand and require more prayer and discipline.  I'm not sure I've realized how the words "sacrifice" and "hard work" will really need to go with those 3.  It's hard to kick habits you've made for years and years, but I am praying the Lord is the one that does it!  These aren't to be super black and white, but I think would be great lifestyle changes! 

So for the workout one, I'm once again trying a 9 week running plan to get to be able to do a 5K.  I know, I've written about doing something like this about 3 years in a row, and I've always quit.  My track record is not great on these particular exercise, but here's to trying again!  I got a different plan from a pastor at my church that used to be a personal trainer.  So maybe since it's new and different, I'll be able to keep up with it.  2 days down, and I'm doing well.  I'm not sure why I always decide to do these things when winter is fully approaching, but that just makes me grateful for the university gym membership. 

So there you go.  "Prayers by 29."  Trust the Lord with me for these simple prayers!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea. Keeps each new year filled with goals. I have been on the exercise/eat right grind myself. I am down 30lbs and still have a long way to go. I have taken some time off from my meal plan and Im getting right back on it bc I think Im starting to gain (I have no scale to tell). Anywho, you can do it! God will renew & transform your mind about food and exercise!.

Mrs. R said...

Good post Katie! You can keep it up. It's always better to keep on again and again than to give up. Just keep your workouts varied. Sometimes if you focus on one thing too long it can become a chore and you might want to stop. Anyways, I miss you!!!