Pages

Monday, September 07, 2009

"K"icking my booty one pull bouy at a time

I finally counted how many laps I complete in my 30 minutes of swimming.
48.
3 sets of 50 freestyle, 50 breast stroke, 50 back.
150 freestyle with a kickboard. 150 backstroke with kickboard.
50 free with the pull bouy, 50 breast with the pull bouy, 50 back with pull bouy.
3 more sets of 50 free, 50 breast and 50 back.
That's 8 sets of 6 laps for a grand total of...
48 laps.
That's 1200 yards. 3600 feet. 2/3 of a mile. Not bad as this is week 3.

I honestly have no idea if 48 laps is good or not for 30 minutes, but I'm still proud of it. New additions to the laps the past couple of days are the kickboard and pull bouy. They have surely intensified the swimming process. I'm assuming most people know what a kickboard is, so we'll skip over that. Let's just say, kickboard equals your legs sinking a little more making you have to work harder. Kick those legs. Work those thighs.

Let's talk about the pull bouys, though. Those things are tough. I think this will be the first time in 3 weeks I will actually be sore from swimming. Aleve already ingested. Take a look at the picture. You put your ankles between the black parts and then try to swim as normal, but with only your arms. The problem is that as opposed to the kickboard, your feet now float making it harder to pull with your arms. Breast stroke was the hardest by far as usually your legs are well within the depth of water , but now they are taking a stroll along the surface of the water. It almost felt like I was using a machine in the weight room as I separated the water with my arms and my legs awkwardly bounced behind me. Another thing to conquer.

So another blog post about the swimming world. I guess I should stop apologizing for writing about swimming so much as it's most likely only going to continue. It's as if I've entered a different culture. Like when I lived in Italy and shared about all kinds of Italian culture things. Now it's swimming. Think of it as a cultural lesson insight. One you won't find on the travel channel.

No comments: