Living an adventurous life for the Lord through growing faith, integrity, humility and service. -Aist Family Motto
Saturday, May 23, 2009
Becoming a Part of Something Great
I love this video. I love how it shows why I do what I do. Why I love my job. As many of you know, I work with a Christian organization called Campus Crusade for Christ. As our weekly emcee would say at our Thursday night meetings, "It is an international, interdenominational organization. Basically, it's all over the world (in 192 countries in fact,) and it's for anyone and everyone. Our hope and dream is to come alongside college students wherever they are in their spiritual journey and point them to Jesus Christ, whether that be through telling them about the truth and love of Christ for the very first time (one of my favorite things to do) or helping them grow in the relationship with Christ they already have."
Campus Crusade is actually a huge organization that has ministries beyond college life, but this sector is the one near and dear to my heart which is why I chose to serve in the university world. When I went to college I had a great Christian background. I could tell you most things about what Christianity stood for and give all the right answers to the questions you gave me, but my faith kind of stopped there with the intellectual knowledge. I knew there was a God, but He seemed far away from me with many other things to deal with than whatever I wanted to pray for. My sophomore year, that all changed. I had actually already become involved with Campus Crusade as of day one of my freshman year, but it was more just because I wanted friends. I enjoyed the people that were there, so I kept going. I'm a social person, and there were about 100 people there to be social with. Thankfully, though, I had begun meeting with a lady that was on staff with Campus Crusade on my campus on a weekly basis. We talked about life, faith and silly things like my billions of crushes. The talk I remember the most, though, was when she told me about what it meant to have a personal relationship with Jesus. I'd been chasing friendships and a sense of approval to fill my every need, but she was offering something more. The never ending love and life through Jesus Christ alone. That day I chose Jesus and nothing has been the same since.
My eyes were opened to how other people on my campus needed to hear and know what I just found out. My life became about serving Jesus Christ. It was this change that radically changed my career plan as well. Rather than going to grad school, I decided to give missions a chance. I went on a one year internship to Florence, Italy where I was faced with a population of students whose hearts were truly hard towards anything dealing with Christ. It was incredible to be a part of watching the Lord soften a couple of them, though, and change their lives like He had done mine.
That year turned into a second year in Italy, and then after two years, I decided to go into missions a long-term. I went from Florence, Italy to Lubbock, Texas. Different in every way except that students still desperately needed to hear the truth of Christ. I came into ministry in at Texas Tech thinking that every student would at least know the answers as I did. I mean I am in the "Bible Belt" of the United States. I found that is far from the truth though. I can't tell you how many students I've talked to this past year that have heard the name Jesus, but don't know anything about Him. It is because of them that I'm here. It is because of people like Jordan and Justin in the video and the hundreds of other names with similar stories.
Another thing I love about my job is that it's not just me out there. Yes, I might physically be on campus, but there is an opportunity for people like you to be a part of what the Lord is doing. Like many other missionary organizations, Campus Crusade staff members have the responsibility to develop a team of financial partners who provide the necessary finances for things like outreach, salary and business related expenses. At the moment I'm looking for more people who want to be a part of this team. A team that together reaches thousands of students, like Justin, like Jordan, at Texas Tech who will then reach thousands more as they go into the work world...all for Jesus Christ.
Due to the economy and natural events of life, I need about $500-$1000 more in monthly pledges to be at full funds once again. Would you be in a position to join with me through a monthly investment of $100, 75, 50, 20 or some other amount?
You can give directly at https://give.ccci.org/give/View/0570655 or email me if you have any questions at katie.bearden@gmail.com.
I know this post was long, but I thank you for making it through it and considering investing in lives like Jordan and Justin's.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment