Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Little Things that bring me Joy

Today I began a mental list of little things that bring me joy. Tonight, I'll write it down and share. Here is a glimpse into what makes me smile.

Coconut Lime Verbena Scented Anything
Summer of 2004, I went to Granada, Spain for 6 weeks. There was a section of town that I went to often that had a palm tree. On a hard day, or really just any day, I would rub on my coconut lime verbena hand lotion, stare at the palm tree and pretend I was at the beach. It worked wonders, and today the scent alone brings me back to that wonderful summer. Thankfully, my friend has it as her hand soap, and as we have many meetings at her house, at least every Wednesday and Friday I get to go back in my memories to a random palm tree in Spain while pretending I'm at the beach all the while having clean hands.

Diet Coke/Chai Tea Lattes/Sweet Tea - mmmm
One sip of these three drinks makes me immediately go "mmmm" while having a satisfied smile on my face. I realized that I could quite possibly opt for a pill that gave me all nutrients of food I need rather than actually eating, but I would never want to give up these yummy drinks. A new friend of mine works at Startbucks, and after ordering my normal Fall drink of a Chai Tea Latte, she told me the wonderful phrase "don't worry about it." Oh how those words make my favorite drinks taste even sweeter!

Laughing so hard it hurts
I mean who doesn't like to laugh - Tonight I had a conversation that made me cry I was laughing so hard. I liked that.

Books
I LOVE books! I read them, decorate with them, love to buy new ones. Within the past two days I bought two that I have already read, but that makes me even more excited to reread them! It was also so exciting to have someone who isn't necessarily a reader share in my joy today as she bought the same ones because I recommended them and kept saying how excited she was!

When the heater comes on in the morning
For the past three mornings or so, I've woken up freezing. I lie in my bed, hitting snooze as often as possible whining in my head about not wanting to get out in the cold. Thankfully, though, before I have to do that, I hear my roommate come out of her room, hit the thermostat, and then within a couple of minutes the heater comes on warming my room. What a sweet sound of the door next to mine opening, the little clicks of buttons and then the gentle rumble of our dear heater being put into action.

Little Kid Chatter
Yesterday, I was sitting reading at a park when a little kid came up to me and started talking to me. I asked him how old he was, and he said he was two. Then he started going on and on about his cousin Thomas. The only thing is that unless you are the parent or around the same child for a long time, it is a little difficult to understand everything little kids are saying all of the time. For example, I learned that Thomas' car broke down, he might be on drugs, Thomas is twenty years old or three. All I know, is that this little kid loved his cousin Thomas whatever the details really are about his life.

So I'm sure there are many more things that bring me joy than just this little list, but these are some that have happened this week, so I thought I'd share.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey friend. i'm turning over a new leaf :) trying to comment again! i love coconut lime scent too. and anytime you're yearning for some little kid chatter, feel free to have mine for a day :)
love the new blog design!! miss you!

Tracy said...

I love the new look of your blog!!!

Tracy said...

BTW, have you ever tried the Starbucks Chai Tea Latte with soy milk? I think it tastes SO MUCH BETTER that with regular milk. :)

Brittany Strebeck said...

i'll make you one with soy next time :)
i hope you have a good weekend, friend!