Picture this. You walk into one of your favorite clothing stores. You glance around and grab some things off of the sale rack. It is a rare day when you actually like everything you try on. Logic tells you, though, that you shouldn't buy it all, so you go with the thing you like best. Today, it was an olive green cargo skirt. Sounds weird, but really it is just a normal skirt that normal girls wear all of the time. You are excited because you realize not only did it fit and look practical for everyday use, but it is also only $7. That's right. Seven dollars, AND you have a 25% coupon. Granted that doesn't take off that much, but that would make the skirt about $4.50.
Now imagine taking the item up to the cashier.
Imagine him asking "Don't you want to get something else more expensive, so that you really can make better use of this coupon? I mean I really don't even like this skirt," as he literally pushes it aside. "I think it's ugly. What about some jeans, shirts, nicer skirts, or some slacks? What about those pencil skirts? I know they are more formal, but those tend to look good on everyone. There is a reason this is on clearance and only $7."
All the while imagine myself and my friend's faces in utter disbelief of what is happening while trying to be kind and say things like, "No, no thanks. I don't really need anything else."
I think I stood there for 3-5 minutes while all of this happened, and by the end of it, I was a little angry at the guy. Does he really think he is Stacey or Clinton from "What not to Wear?" If so, where is my free $5000? I would take his advice and not just get clearance things then. Wouldn't it actually be in his better interest to sell things at the store he works at not turn customers away by basically telling them they have horrible fashion taste? I mean, he didn't even see the skirt on me. At this point, I couldn't decide if I should buy the skirt in spite of him or just leave. Leaving won. I really just didn't want to buy anything from the dude (Rico, as my friend and I call him since during this whole thing he actually wasn't mean, but was trying to be so smooth about it.)
I'm not at all mourning the lack of purchase, but I am still a little confused as to where the guy learned customer service or sales. Needless to say, it created a fun story, and I decided to make my purchases elsewhere. Rico, Old Navy should thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment