Pages

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Beans and Cornbread, but not so yummy


This has absolutely nothing to do with food. I wish it was as fun as talking about beans and cornbread and the wonderful consumption of the two.

Unfortunately, this really has to do with Sweat and Mosquitoes. Quite a different pair. Florence has been invaded. The heat has taken its stand. My skin has been attacked. It continually feels sticky or itchy. Taking a shower often feels useless. You continually hear a "bzzzz" sound in your ear. At night you can't hide yourself completely under the covers because then you will die of the heat. I heard stories about the heat last year, but only now understand it. Did you know that Italians are saying that it isn't "technically" summer yet?

So what do you do when you are constantly shooing off pesty bugs or wiping the gross sweat off of your face? Well, yes there are fans. Yes there are some things to help ward off the mosquitoes a little. But really, you get to learn how to appreciate good 'ol AC that we have in the states. You get to practice walking in the Spirit. You think I'm kidding, but hot and sticky Katie sometimes equals hot, sticky, cranky Katie.

Maybe I am a wuss. Actually, there might not be a need for a maybe in that last phrase. All I know is that I woke up 3 hours earlier than my alarm this morning because I couldn't stand being sticky anymore and one mosquito bite hurt because I had unconsciously been scratching it all night. I had to get up and take a shower.

Florence, Italy. The beautiful land laying under the tuscan sun. Just remember every fairy tale place comes with some discouraging realities. For this Renaissance city it is Sweat and Mosquitoes.

No comments: