Now for all of my friends and family here in the states, please do not read the above paragraph thinking I am not excited to see you and happy to be home. I am thrilled to be home and get to be a part of everyone's life again first hand. I am grateful that while home for only a week, I have been blessed to enjoy many an adventure.
Here's a brief recap of my time here in the states thus far...
Days 1-3
My team and I "hung out" in Houston to get ready for our day at the Houston Italian Consulate. I use hung out loosely because much of it was spent at FedEx/Kinko's copying papers and driving around Houston trying to find a place to get a money order. We did, as a team, go enjoy the new Bond movie, though. That was some great fun! Not only did I really like the movie, but it was amusing to watch 5 Americans wandering around a movie theater forgetting how America works due to only being gone for 2 1/2 months.

Monday, we turned in our Visa applications and now we wait. The Italian lady said a week to 10 days, but I do not really believe it will be that fast. We are talking Italy time here people. Let's just hope we hear before Christmas.
Days 3-5
The next couple of days, I got to enjoy the wonderful company of my friends. Monday night I spent catching up with my friend Melanie and her sweet dog, Bailey. It was so fun to just relax while talking about what was happening in our lives.
Tuesday though Thursday, I went to my true place of rest...Laura and Andy's house. Laura and Andy, are not only good friends, the parents of my goddaughter, but also the sweet, sweet people that let me live at their house more or less whenever I want. The past two summers, I have spent many a nights at their apartment or home. Their home is a comfortable retreat for me where I feel like I can move at a slower pace and just be. They encourage me more than they will ever know. I am so grateful that although they are moving, Laura reassured me that in their new house, I will still get my own room. :-)
(In case you haven't seen the hundreds of pictures I usually post of Kate, this is my goddaughter Kate.)
Days 6 through now
Thursday, brought me back to College Station. It is weird coming back to a town that was my life during college, but not having anything to do with the school anymore. Thankfully, many of my good friends are still here. Thursday evening was spent catching up with Tater, Jessica and Dave.
I also go to see and hold my college mentor, Jenny's, two new baby girls! I asked Jenny if she could quite possibly wait to have her twin girls when I came home, and she listened well! Sydney and Lauren were born on December 4th (11:50pm) and 5th (12:08am). That's right! They have different birthdays! Although, it might get annoying after awhile for them to have to always explain that to people, I think it is amazing! How fun to be a twin with a different birthday than your sister! It was incredible to me that I got to hold them when they were 2 days old. Not only that, it amazed me as to at only 2 days old, they had so much personality. For some reason, I always thought the first couple of days babies were more or less sleeping, crying, pooping blobs. My preconception was blown away, though, as I held the sweet girls. Lauren is the laid back one. She slept peacefully in my arms for a long time just enjoying life. Sydney is the spunky one that is all about wiggling. She is smaller than Lauren, but came out first with a fun "Here I am World" attitude. It is going to be so fun to see these girls grow up!
(Sydney is in the pink and Lauren in the green)

Saturday, I got to spend the day with my friend/aunt, Saundra. I say friend/aunt because although she is my aunt, she has become more of my friend over the past 5 1/2 years. She included me in her trip to Austin to hit up a farmer's market and Central Market. It was fun getting to ride with her, talk about what the Lord is doing in each of our lives, and be a part of her passion that is food. It is so fun to hear her talk about the importance of locally grown food and hear her heart for supporting local merchants. I have to admit that it is something I do not think about often, so it is fun to hear her desire to help out people right around us.
Last night I got to be a part of something special. It just happened that I got to be home to go to some of my friend's engagement party. I knew Patty from Crusade over the past couple of years, and I got to meet and know her fiance, Chris, this summer as we all trucked to the many weddings at the time. They are an amazing couple, and I am so excited for them! I am praying that they will come join me in Italy as Chris has a passionate love for the country.
(Patty and Chris at my going away shindig this summer)
When I think of America, I think hi-tech. Dishwashers, disposals, garage door openers that work. Unfortunately, all of those things at my house are broken. I broke into my own house when I didn't have a key by pulling up my garage door. I came home to a kitchen full of dirty dishes. I did what I would have though would have happened in Italy first. I washed tons of pots, pans, and plates in...my bathtub. It was a first. Who knew that the bathtub would be a convenient place to soak tons of dishes. It was as if they all got a bubble bath! As fun as it was to sit on my knees over the tub, let's all hope that Mr. Plumber man will call early and come quickly on Monday morning.
One last thought...I am accepted to long-term staff with Campus Crusade! I am hoping that we will get our visas, so that I will finish off my stint year and then go to New Staff training, and then return to Italy until the Lord calls me somewhere else.
So that is it folks. I will not be detailing every moment of the rest of my time home, but I thought since this past week was very eventful, I would share it with you all. Thanks for making it through the long post.
2 comments:
i would have loved to be a fly on the wall during the dish bath time. you are fantastic katie.
Aww, that is so exciting you got to meet and hold the new Holberg twins!! How fun!!
Post a Comment