The walking has been my almost daily evening activity with various people this week. Whether with my roommates, other friends or just enjoying silence and scenery, I've enjoyed getting to end the night in the slightly cooler weather spending quality time with people and winding down in such a peaceful way. I know I've mentioned how much I dislike running, but if you just slow down that process and turn it into walking, I could do it for hours. Literally. It's such a peaceful, recharging thing for me, and often it ties into my time with the Lord as well.
Now the Thai Pesto Buns. So I am proud to announce that week one of TNR (TwoNewRecipes) went really well! It's Thursday, and I've already finished my goal of 2 new recipes/week. In fact, this week I did 3! (Well technically 4, but one of them didn't turn out so great, so I'm not counting that one. Think what should have been mashed potatoes being the consistency of grits. Turns out I can't really use my food processor for everything.)
The three I did set out to make though, turned out great! They were Cinnamon Buns, Thai Coconut Soup and Pesto. The Cinnamon Buns were what I was most proud of, mostly because it took 2 days to make and a lot more preparation. I had no idea what I was doing when I said I'd make those and didn't realize how many hours it took. I felt like a little farm woman when I had to get up really early one morning in order to have them ready in time to share at my staff meeting that morning. Therefore, I was so excited when they actually tasted really good!
The Thai Coconut Soup was SOOOO easy, and I'm pretty sure my new comfort food if I'm ever sick, or when it's cold come winter. It is a milder tasting soup (I would add a little more cumin and cilantro than the recipe says, the next time I make it), but it was so simple and good. Blows boring chicken noodle soup out of the water.
Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
14 oz chicken broth (can sub water, but it's not the same flavor...really need chicken broth)
14 oz can lite coconut milk
1/2 T ground cumin
Bring to boil
Add diced up chicken and cook till done, about FIVE minutes.
Seriously done in like 15 m inutes or less! you can serve it over rice or not.
Finally, the pesto. Again, WAY easy! I even got to use my food processor for its intended purpose. I couldn't find the pine nuts it calls for at my store, so I used walnuts instead, and it still tastes really good. I also had to half the recipe because I didn't have enough basil, but I still ended up with enough to make at least 3-4 batches of pasta. It'll go a long way, so I can't even imagine making the whole amount and using it all as a single person. It's going to go on some penne tomorrow night at an Italian themed dinner my friends and I are having, and I can't wait!!! I love me some pesto!
So I would say that week one was a success. My roommates are super excited about this TNR goal of mine as they get the benefit of eating everything. They've even asked if they can start putting in requests, so maybe next week I'll let each of them choose something as my two new recipes. I'll let you know what's coming up on the menu!
2 comments:
those cinnamon buns look so yummy, as does the pesto and soup! brava!
I'm so honored that you used the recipes I enjoy so much! Yay for trying new things :)
Post a Comment