Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2008

"O"bserving the changes

Being in Branson, MO as staff this summer has drawn a lot to my attention. One of the largest is that I'm not a student anymore. It's a weird thing being "staff." It creates a label that whether you want it to our not brings, expectations of knowing things, much responsibility and a constant tension of trying to be cool and still fit in with the students. I'm only about 4-5 years older than most of them, but in college years that is a ton. Remember when you were 16 and 21 sounded really old? Then remember when you turned 25 and 30 seemed not old at all?

Along with this reality that I'm not a 19 year old freshman anymore, has come some other observations. I don't have as much energy as I used to. My bedtime has significantly gotten earlier. I think I've become a little more serious and introspective in the past couple of years. All of these, I am very grateful for.

So I might be in a tension of how to fit in with the students, be respected by the students, but hopefully someday I'll truly learn how to give up control in wanting to be a certain way, and just let the Lord use me the way He wants to use me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well said friend, well said!